Can a blog party skyrocket your blog traffic? YES!!
Isn’t a blog party the same thing as a link party? NO!!
If you are confused about it, don’t feel bad!
Every time I talk to other bloggers about my blog parties they think I’m talking about a link party or a blog hop.
Unless they are part of my blog contributors group who have experienced first hand what a blog party is, they will still think I’m talking about something else!
A blog party is not a link party or a blog hop either!
So what is a blog party and what’s the difference between a blog party, a link party?
Blog Party x Link Party:
A link party by definition is when a blog hosts an event in which any bloggers are invited to post a link to a blog post. The most clicked post link is usually featured on the next link party a week later. These link parties can be hosted by a single blogger or several bloggers partnering together to attract more readers to their blog.
A blog party, by my own definition, is when a blog hosts an event in which specific bloggers are invited to post a full guest post in the hosting blog as well as a teaser with a link to the full blog post using specific keywords to attract readers. The hosting blog publishes one post a day from a participant blogger during the length of the blog party that could vary from 7 to 31 days usually.
A blog party guest post follows a specific theme carefully chosen using specific keywords to attract readers to the blog and rank higher on Google. Participating bloggers work together to strategically share and promote each other’s blog and blog posts on their social media and email newsletter for the duration of the blog party.
Here Are Some Reasons I Believe a Blog Party Is Way Better Than a Link Party:
- It allows bloggers to network within their niche in a much greater scale in a short period of time.
- It builds new partnerships between bloggers.
- Increases their opportunity to reach to new readers and followers because they all invite readers and followers to one common space, not only in each one’s blog but also on the Facebook event page. That means 7 to 31x more exposure, just during the blog party!
- All bloggers benefit from it SEO wise and blog posts rank better on Google as well.
- Increases your blog traffic tremendously! Yep! I went from zero to 25000 page views in less than three months blogging!
- Increases your email subscribers. Can I hear an amen here? 😉 You will never own your followers on social media but your email list is yours!! Check out my email list growth graph further down.
- Adds great content to your blog and content is king! We all know that!
- The content shared in a blog party is usually evergreen and never gets irrelevant to your audience. Unless you use a seasonal theme.
Why I Don’t Like Link Parties As Much As I Like Blog Parties
- When it comes to SEO, link parties benefit only the hosting blog but not the blogs of those sharing their links.
- Your links can get lost depending on how big the link party is.
- It’s also impersonal, there is no interaction between bloggers or readers unless through a comment here and there on the blog post.
- Too time-consuming to see any benefits afterward.
- Can become a dumping ground of irrelevant and old blog post links, the hosting blog does not have much control over the quality of links shared and if they want to filter each one it will make it even more time-consuming and you don’t want other bloggers to feel offended because you didn’t think their post were good enough for your audience, right?
- Link party posts don’t get as many shares or pins as a regular evergreen blog post.
- The link party posts become irrelevant after just a few days, I know mine did.
- They attract more bloggers wanting to be found then readers looking for great content.
Download Your Daily Blog Planner FREE!
Be focused on what you really need to get done on your blog without distractions.
Link Parties Can Hurt Your Blog
Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure there are advantages for link parties as well I’m sure! I do know bloggers who have been hosting successful link parties for a while.
I also know blogs who had VERY successful link parties and stop doing them because it was hurting their SEO more than benefiting their blog. One of them was Cornerstone Confession who hosted a Titus 2 Tuesday, a very successful link party for 4 years.
I was very proud to have been just featured there for the first time and had just announced I was starting my own link party here when they published this blog post and shared this statement:
I read several articles on link-ups and the latest Google algorithm updates. The results surprised me. Links due to link-up parties and link-up buttons are now considered an SEO risk factor. Yikes!
They also shared these links for further understanding:
- 7 Google Changes That Will Make or Break Your SEO
- Link Building in the Post-Spam Age: A Strategy for 2016 and Beyond
- Link Party Buttons Under Attack by Google?
So, now that you understand the concept and benefits of a blog party, let me tell you my story…
How I Went from Zero to 25k Page Views in Less Than Three Months Blogging with One Blog Party!
I launched my blog on February 25, 2016, with one blog post published! One!
I knew more about blogging in theory than I did in practice because I hired Rebecca Spooner to be my blog coach I started her Make Money Blogging in 30 Days, which was a very bold move for someone barely starting!
In fact, I was learning about affiliate links before I even knew how to publish a blog post on WordPress! LOL But I am so glad I did because since day 1 I knew I could take my blog from hobby to business somehow.
My First Blog Party Idea & Big Shocking Success
Well, only 3 weeks into blogging, Big Dreamer, Bold and Unknown Me, had the idea of inviting 30 other bloggers to blog with me about 31 Reasons We Love Homeschooling for 31 days at my completely unknown blog!
I believe with all my heart this was a divine strategy to launch me as a blogger and
to jump start my blogging journey!
Crazy thing is that because of a well-crafted and persuading invitationI sent out, they all said YES!!
Here is a copy of my very first blog party invitation:
As I said, I launched my blog on February 25 and this first blog party started on April 1st! I barely had any time to prepare in between but I had a clear plan and strategy in mind. By the time the blog party ended my number of page views was 7 times higher than the previous month and before I hit 3 months blogging my total of page views was 25K! Not bad for a newbie, right?
Hosting a well designed and well-promoted blog party was the jumpstart I needed!
But it didn’t stay there. A month after my first blog party ended I hosted a second one that did even better because by then I knew exactly what I was doing, I had tweaked what needed to be tweaked and added what needed to be added.
A Blog Party is Also an Excellent Way to Grow Your Email List
Take a look at my email list growth on Mailchimp during my first three blog parties!
Here’s how you can create and host a successful blog party and see these same results on your own blog!
After documenting details about my blog party strategies and testing it several times, I created Grow Your Blog Partying in 30 Days e-Course!
Grow Your Blog Partying in 30 Days is a 4-week online course where you will learn the fundamentals of a blog party, blog party strategies, the techs and tools of a blog party and so much more from Google Analytics to pitching to blog sponsors. I will teach you my very own secrets in four modules, tons of videos, downloadable templates and spreadsheets and even an exclusive Facebook mastermind group to help you continue to grow your blog in the years to come!
Here is what other bloggers are saying about my expertise in designing and hosting the best blog parties:
“When it comes to blog parties Ana knows her stuff. With the 31 Reasons We Love Homeschooling blog party, she went from newbie to pro-blogger in what seemed like overnight! Ana has rocked her blog parties every single time. Not to mention she can help you make it happen.1 If you are looking for a way to connect with other bloggers, add great content to your blog and drive more traffic your way, this course can totally help.”– Forest Rose 7 year blogger at KingdomFirstHomeschool.com
“Ana’s idea of blog parties has transformed how I look at blogging both as a professional blogger and Virtual Assistant. I’ve learned to not look at other bloggers as competition but as alias and collaborators to grow my blog. If you’re looking to take your blog to the next level you will want to take this course.” – Amanda Long from Timesavingmom.com and AmandaLongVa.com
What will you get from my Grow Your Blog Partying in 30 Days e-course:
- 4 Modules with 3-5 Video Lessons Each
- Templates and Printables (lists, spreadsheets, graphics, etc) all done-for-you and ready to be used!
- Webinar Recording: 12 Action Steps to Start Growing Your Blog Now!
- The Tools & Techs of a Blog Party Video Tutorials
- My Blogging Toolbox: My Favorite Power Tools For Bloggers
- 4 Live Q&As Video Recordings
I will teach you way beyond how to throw a blog party!
In this e-course you will also learn how to:
- identify your niche, audience, and avatar
- basic Google Analytics, Keywords, SEO tips
- how and why to survey your readers
- pitch to new sponsors and giveaway donors
- invite other bloggers to join your blog party
- encourage your blog contributors and readers to help you promoting your blog party
- captivate and engage new readers
- social media strategies and more!
You will learn so much about your blog’s mission, blogging in general and social media! You will learn what your readers need and want from your blog to help you create the best content for your followers!
Are you ready to put your first blog party together and see the amazing blog traffic growth for yourself!
Do you want to grow your blog?
My new e-course will teach you EVERYTHING YOU NEED to grow your blog partying in 30 days!
Join the waiting list now!