Let’s teach kids about true love! February is the month of love and this means Valentine’s Day is around the corner!
Celebrating Valentine’s Day as parents often mean you need to figure out ways to include your kids in the celebration! You still get to do special things with your spouse but including your kids on this day sends a positive message to them. It makes them feel loved and special. This helps them understand that Valentine’s Day celebration is a day for everyone to show acts of love and kindness to each other.
Why teaching kids about true love is important?
1 – We live in a time where the word love is sadly losing its meaning. We use the word love very often for just about everything. “I love pizza.” “You will love this movie.”
2 – People are confusing lust with love in their relationships. Love brings self-control and doesn’t lead us to sin.
3 – True love endures all things! When we truly love someone we would never give up on that person or on a marriage. Love never fails, even if we do. Love forgives, overcome obstacles, and sustains us during the worse tragedies of life.
Here are ways you can teach kids about true love on Valentine’s Day:
1. Make your neighbor some home cooked meal while involving your kids, this shows them that Valentine’s Day is not about us but about other people, and how the little things we do can make others feel loved.
2. Teach them that the Love of God is the one and only true love, that the only law of God is love; in everything we do we must love others just as Christ loved us. Teach kids about true love by teaching them about God and leading into a closer relationship with Him.
3. Teach them that the celebration of love is not only limited to Valentine’s Day only, it is an everyday lifestyle, we must love others every day and every minute even when it’s not easy and it won’t always be.
4. Help them make and give gifts to family and friends, it doesn’t have to be something expensive – handmade gifts are the best! This teaches them the joy that comes with putting our hearts into our gifts to others and not just money.
If you are looking for a fun craft idea, check this one out!
5. Write out little notes of little things you love about them and you can ask them to write out yours too. I think this could be a fun activity and you would be amazed to actually hear what your kids think about you.
6. Read scriptures together as a family and discuss several scripture verses that talks about the love of God and how we can love others.
We Have a Free Printable To Help You Teach Kids About True Love!
True love is the best gift we can give to others; we must love others without holding anything back for only through faith and love are we able to please God. Let’s teach kids about true love this Valentine’s Day!
Want our free Valentine's printable?
What better way to teach kids about true love than sharing Scripture verses with them. This Scripture cards will open opportunities for great conversations about God, Jesus' sacrifice for us and what true love really means.
Other Resources To Teach Kids About True Love
If you like practical ways to help teach kids, check out How to Teach Kids Independence and Responsibility.
Teach your kids independence and responsibility at easy!
Ana is the unhurried homeschool mom of 3, wife, health coach, social media and online marketing strategist, and blogger. She loves to encourage, inspire and empower moms to go from stressed to blessed by providing them with the tips, strategies, and resources they need to succeed. Ana is the founder of They Call Me Blessed and the creator of 5 Days to Your Best Homeschool Years, Grow Your Blog Partying in 30 Days, and the Beyond Blessed Life Planners. She leads a vibrant online community for moms on Facebook and you can connect with her at www.facebook.com/theycallmeblessedblog.