We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post..
If you want to be Always Ready For Roadschooling, Homeschooling On The Go & Road Trips With Kids, I have some tips for you!
No matter where you are going, short distance or long road trips, there are amazing ways to make this a fun educational experience and also an adventure full of interesting aspects and surprises.
As adults, we all seem to love a good road trip but keeping the kids entertained can be a challenge. The idea of just being able to get in the car, and go is something that still gives us a sense of adventure, no matter where we are at currently in our lives.
We have been carschooling and roadschooling for at least 5 years now and we’re RV homeschooling fulltime! Yep! We live full-time in our RV.
We are getting ready for the road trip of our dreams. For the next year or two, we will be RVing through all North America with our 3 kids! So when it comes to educating and entertaining the kids on the road, let’s just say that we are pros. 😉
Getting on the road with littles require some preparation, but planning a road trip with kids is 100% possible, and it’s even possible to plan it so it’s fun and interesting for them as well!
Ultimate Resource Guide for a Roadschooling and Road Trips with Kids
The key to having a successful road trip with kids is to make certain to have an organized plan, and a ton of different activities to do! Just because your child wants to be active in the car, doesn’t mean that the road trip has to be full of questions such as “Are we there yet?” or statements like, “I’m bored!” Plan ahead and stock up on some awesome items that are certain to make the road trip enjoyable for everyone in the car.
Before You Hit The Road, Grab This Book about Carschooling!
- Carschooling: Over 350 Entertaining Games & Activities to Turn Travel Time into Learning Time. This book is a must when roadschooling or taking a road trip with kids. It’s jam-packed with a ton of activities that will actually educate your child, as well as keep them entertained. From 18-Wheeler Chemistry to Dashboard Decimal, there is something educational for everyone to learn.
No One Can’t Do Roadschooling and Road Trips Without Backseat Organizers!
- Premium Seat Back Organizer. How many times have you been driving down the road, only to have your child tell you that they’ve dropped literally everything that they were reading or playing with on the floor and they can’t reach it any longer? Probably more times that you can count, right? With this organizer, now they can have a place to store all of their items rather than try to balance everything on their lap and the seat next to them!
- Backseat Organizer. One can never have too much organization in the car. If you have multiple children, then you need multiple organizers. And as we all know, what works for one may not work for all so it’s always a good idea to have multiple options for you and your children.
- Backseat Organizer with Tablet Holder. Sometimes, long road trips require a little bit of tablet time. Take the ease off your child having to hold it the entire time and use this organizer instead. It takes away the worry of it dropping and lets your little one totally relax, too!
Audiobooks are Awesome for Roadschooling and Road Trips
- Adventure in Odyssey: Ultimate Road Trip Audiobook and all other Adventure in Odyssey audiobooks. Listening to fun and engaging stories as a family when driving the road is great! It gives talking points and really opens up those lines of communication as well. Plus, Adventure in Odyssey truly has some great stories to listen to!
Other audiobook series we love listening to on the road:
My favorite way to roadschooling with audiobooks is using these:
Kids Travel Trays Make Roadschooling, Homeschooling On The Go, and Road Trips So Much Easier!
If you want your kiddos to be entertained and active during the road trip, they need a space to be able to work with! This travel tray gives them room to draw, color, lay their book, use their imagination or eat, as well. This is one purchase that will truly pay for itself again and again.
I really like this one from Amazon.
- Reusable Snack Bags. So often, parents keep the snacks out of reach of the kids, making it an inconvenience to grab them and hand out. Instead, buy some snack bags in advance and let your child have them next to them. If they are hungry, pack those snack bags full of healthy foods for them to eat!
- Travel Scavenger Hunt Card Games. Road tripping with kids is actually a lot of fun because you get to channel your own inner-child. Turn off whatever radio talk show you’re listening to, and allow yourself to play a game or two with your children! Travel Scavenger hunt is one of those games where everyone in the car can play, and should! (be safe, of course!) The hours will fly by when you’re looking for cows, horses, billboards and even the letter “E”. You never know what you’ll have to find with this fun game!
- Spillproof Water Bottle. One of the biggest reasons that there are so many breaks during road trips is that everyone in the car is thirsty. Before leaving, purchase everyone their own water bottle to have and fill. That way, they can sip away as needed and you can get a few more miles down the road before having to pull over.
- Magnetic Checkers. Don’t let the worry of losing the pieces stop you from playing a fun game of checkers! With this magnetic checkerboard, all of the pieces will stay put no matter how big of bump you hit!
Tablets are great to keep learning and entertainment going during a trip!
All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition Tablet, 8Fire HD 10 Kids Edition Tablet, 10.1Fire 7 Tablet with Alexa, 7Dragon Touch Y88X Plus 7 inch Kids Tablet, Kidoz Pre-Installed Disney Content (More Than $80 Value) PinkSamsung Galaxy Tab E Lite Kids 7Kids Tablet Android Quad Core 7 inch Tablet for Kids Edition Tablet with WiFi Camera Games IPS Safety Eye Protection Screen 1GB 8GB StorageSamsung – Galaxy Kids Tablet 7.0Fire 7 Kids Edition Tablet, 7
Don’t Forget To Pack Lots of Activity & Coloring Books.
I Am Confident, Brave & Beautiful: A Coloring Book for GirlsSpace Coloring and Activity Book for Kids: Mazes, Coloring, Dot to Dot, Word Search, and More!, Kids 4-8 (Kids Activity Books)Melissa & Doug Water Wow! Reusable Color with Water Activity Pad 3-Pack, Farm, Safari, Under the Sea, 10You’re God’s Girl! Coloring BookBible Story Coloring and Activity Book (One Big Story)Inspirational Coloring Book for Girls: Hours of Faith-Filled Fun
Pack Also Some Markers, Pencils & Colored Pencils
Crayola Mini Colored Pencils in Assorted Colors, Coloring Supplies for Kids, 64ctSargent Art 22-0083 Draw & Color Art Set with Bonus Pencil Sharpener 101 Pc Colored Pencils, Markers, SharpenerCrayola Twistables Silly Scents Colored Pencils, 12 Non-Toxic, Scented, Twist-Up Pencils Great for Adult Coloring Books or Kids 3 & Up, 12 Classic Colors in Fun Scents Like Cotton Candy & Green AppleCrayola Crayons (24 Count), Crayola Colored Pencils in Assorted Colors (12 Count), Crayola (10ct) Classic Fine Line Markers, and Crayola (10ct) Classic Broad Line Markers Holiday BundleCrayola 68-2112 Silly Scent Pencils, Scented Colored Pencils, Gift for Kids, 12Count, MulticolorCrayola Inspiration Art Case: 140 Pieces, Art Set, Gifts for Kids, Age 4, 5, 6
Let’s Wrap Up!
There are amazing benefits to homeschooling on the road.
Carschooling and roadschooling is the way to go if you are a homeschool family who loves to hit the road like us.
Planning a road trip with kids should be fun! All you need to do is make sure that you have a few “essentials” to help you make it a success.
Think about the things that your children enjoy, and find a way to have them in the vehicle with you. The better that you can plan, the quicker those hours in the car will go!
And don’t forget to have your favorite music handy too! After all, having a dance party in the middle of a long day driving can be lots of fun. You can even park the car for a few minutes somewhere, pump up the music and let the kids stretch their legs and dance away.
Click here to go VIP & download my best resources for homeschooling and roadschooling FREE!
Want to Read More About Roadschooling & Homeschooling? Check out these posts: