Yes, we’re talking about time spent on Facebook today! How much time have you spent on social media today?
In yesterday’s blog post we talked about the time we spend vegging out in front of the TV or computer and how that time slips away from us. Today, I want to tackle another big time sucker– social media. Don’t get me wrong, it’s an amazing tool, but it can also be quite distracting. It doesn’t matter if it’s Facebook, Pinterest, Tumbler, Instagram, or your social media platform of choice.
The biggest problem with social media is that it’s everywhere. We check in from our computers, tablet, and of course the ever-present smartphone. We get alerts, we check in when we’re bored, or have a couple of minutes to kill. Before we know it, thirty minutes or more have gone by that we’re not getting back. Check out here what happened when I gave up my smartphone for a whole year.
**This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.**
How to Stop Spending Too Much Time On Facebook
Here’s an eye-opening exercise for you. Carry a pen and paper around with you, get a click counter or an app on your phone and start keeping track of how many times you access social media per day. Include any and all devices you use and add to the running total even when you’re just looking at it “for a second”. If you’re anything like me, you’ll be a bit shocked at how high that number actually is.
This is one distraction that isn’t usually caught by the time log we talked about a few days ago since the social media interactions are so quick and frequent. Trust me though, no matter how briefly you access each platform, it all starts to add up and distracts you from other things.
As a blogger, I love social media and I won’t lie. I love our Facebook and Instagram communities, but if I don’t time myself on social media, I will easily get carried away and it will eat up all my time. So here is what I do, even though social media is part of my work, I deleted all social media from my smartphone and I don’t turn on my computer until homeschool is done for the day. Plus I scheduled my social media time so I can keep track of how much time I spend on it.
How Facebook Can Make Us Miss The Best Moments In Life
How often do you miss part of a conversation or a fun moment with your kids because you were busy commenting on a Facebook post, retweeting something, or pinning a fun craft idea that you likely won’t get around to trying? Is it worth missing all those important little moments in life? And think about what you would have time and mental energy to do if you weren’t constantly distracted by social media?
The goal is to live more intentionally and do things with purpose. We don’t want to let social media posts distract us from that goal. I’m not saying that there isn’t a time to use social media, far from it. They are a wonderful tool and a great way to connect with people. But they are also dangerously addictive. Don’t believe me?
Here’s another exercise for you. Commit to not using social media at all for 48 hours. Turn off or ignore the alerts on your phone and don’t allow yourself to go to the sites on your computer. How does that feel? Do you miss it? Does it make you nervous or anxious?
It’s time to take control over social media instead of letting it control us. What can you change starting today to make that happen? Let me know down in the comments!
Join our 30 Days to A Life With Purpose Free Challenge here:
Want A Life with Purpose?
Read the 30 Days to A Life With Purpose posts here:
- How to Align Your Purpose Through Prayer And Meditation
- Why You Should NOT Be The Focus of Your Life
- When You Live A Purpose Driven Life, Your Values Are Clear
- Why When You Live With Purpose You Stop Worrying
- 4 Reasons Living With Purpose Makes You A Kinder Person
- Why Money And Stuff Don’t Make You Happy
- Why Living With Purpose Is Good For Your Spiritual Health
- How to Start Taking Action And Live Your Purpose
- How to Build Purposeful And Meaningful Relationships
- 3 Huge Reasons Why You Should Be Traveling The World
- How To Never Stop Learning
- 3 Reasons You Need To Embrace Hobbies And Interests
- How Much Time Are You Spending On Facebook?
- Why I don’t waste time watching TV And You Shouldn’t Either
- Your Purpose Doesn’t Have To Be Huge To Make A Difference
- Why What You Do For A Living Matters
- The Connection Between Purpose and Happiness
- Four Questions To Help You Discover Your Purpose In Life
- How to Go From Existing To Truly Living Life
- 3 Steps To Help You Find Your Calling
- 5 Benefits of Finding Your Purpose
- 30 Days to Start Living with Purpose
My Favorite Tool For A Life With Purpose
Books I Recommend About Finding Your Purpose on Amazon
Life on Purpose: How Living for What Matters Most Changes EverythingThe Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For?Life Purpose Boot Camp: The 8-Week Breakthrough Plan for Creating a Meaningful LifeWhat On Earth Am I Here For? Study Guide (The Purpose Driven Life)Living Life on Purpose: Discovering God’s Best for Your LifeThe Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For?Daily Inspiration for the Purpose Driven Life: Scriptures and Reflections from the 40 Days of Purpose
Do you want to teach your kids independence and responsibility?