This post contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post and/or earn a commission on products mentioned in this post.
Here is my big list of homeschool books recommendations. This list was compiled with the recommendation of 30 homeschool moms who participated in our 30 Ways We Homeschool blog party and contains our very favorite homeschool related or motherhood related books that will certainly help you in your homeschooling journey.
While I haven’t read all these books myself, I do plan to read as many of these as I can and that’s is why I also created a checklist with all the books listed here. 😉 You can print it out and check them off as you read them.
You don’t need to buy all of them, most of them can be found in your own local libraries or perhaps you can start a homeschool book swap with your homeschool friends!
I have linked each and every book to Amazon for your convenience in case you do want to purchase some of these books or simply check them out.
–> Don’t forget to download this list in a checklist format at the end of this post! 😉
Before you read the whole list I want you to know that these are my very own favorites!
We follow an unhurried homeschool pace inspired by Charlotte Mason’s philosophy of education. But it wasn’t like this from the beginning. Our homeschool was a chaotic failure of an imitation of the public school system at home. I had no idea what I was doing. I was burned out, physically and emotionally exhausted and my kids were hating homeschooling.
It wasn’t until three years into homeschooling that I began to read some of the homeschool books I’m listing it here for you today. It was a game changer! My eyes were open to so many methods and approaches I didn’t know existed. I was inspired, revived and equipped to homeschool my children in a whole new way.
This is why reading these homeschool books are so important to us as homeschool moms. We need encouragement, fresh ideas, and inspirations.
Here is our complete list of homeschool books recommendations:
- 7 P’s in a Pod by Crystal Twibell
- A Charlotte Mason Companion: Personal Reflections On the Gentle Art of Learning By Karen Andreola
- A Field Guide to Homeschooling by Christine Field
- A Gracious Space (pick any or all) by Julie Bogart
- A Philosophy of Education by Charlotte Mason.
- A.A. Milne’s Now We Are Six.
- Better Late than Early by Raymond Moore, Ed.D
- Called Home: Finding Joy in Letting God Lead Your Homeschool by Karen DeBues
- Cartier Sails the St. Lawrence by Esther Averill
- Catholic Education: Homeward Bound A useful Guide To Catholic Homeschooling by Kimberly Hahn and Mary Hasson
- Complete Guide to Getting Started in Homeschooling
- Consider This by Karen Glass
- Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum A Guide to Catholic Home Education by Laura M. Berquist
- Dumbing Us Down, the Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling, by John Taylor Gatto
- Educating the Wholehearted Child by Clay and Sally Clarkson
- Family Math by Jean Kerr Stenmark and Virginia Thompson
- For the Children’s Sake: Foundations of Education for Home and School
- Government Nannies
- Handbook of Nature Study
- Home Education by Charlotte Mason
- Home Grown Kids
- Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School
- Home School Burnout: What it Is. What Causes It. And How to Cure It. by Raymond S. Moore, Ed.D and Dorothy Moore, M.A.
- Homeschooling with a Meek & Quiet Spirit by Terri Maxwell
- How to Get Your Child Off the Refrigerator and On to Learning
- How to Home School (A Practical Approach) by Gayle Graham
- IndoctriNation by Colin Gunn
- Learning All the Time, by John Holt
- Loose Parts 2: Inspiring Play with Infants and Toddlers by Lisa Daly and Miriam Beloglovsky
- Loose Parts: Inspiring Play in Young Children by Lisa Daly and Miriam Beloglovsky
- Managers of Their Homes by Terri Maxwell
- Busy Homeschool Mom’s Guide to Daylight Managing Your Days Through the Homeschool Years by Heidi St. John
- Project-Based Homeschooling Mentoring Self-Directed Learners – by Lori Pickert
- Penny Gardner’s “Secular Charlotte Mason Study Guide
- Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons
- Teach Your Own, by John Holt
- Teaching from Rest by Sarah McKenzie
- The Big WHAT NOW Book of Learning Styles.
- The Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter.
- The Dangerous Book for Boys
- The Fearless and Simple Guide To The Periodic Table by Teresa Bondora
- The Homegrown Preschooler: Teaching Your Kids in the Places They Live
- The Homeschool Experiment by Charity Hawkins
- The Hundred Languages of Children by Carolyn Edwards and Lella Gandini
- The Life Giving Home by Sally Clarkson
- The Periodic Table of Elements Coloring Book by Teresa Bondora
- The Practice of the Presence of God.
- The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook.
- The Three R’s by Ruth Beechick
- The Unhurried Homeschooler: A Simple, Merciful Short Book on Homeschooling by Durenda Wilson.
- The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise
- The Writer’s Jungle by Julie Bogart
- The Year of Learning Dangerously: Adventures in Homeschooling by Quinn Cummings
- Poetry Teatime Companion: A Brave Writer Sampler of British and American Poems
- What Your ____ Grader Needs to Know
- When Children Love to Learn: A Practical Application of Charlotte Mason’s Philosophy for Today
- 102 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum by Cathy Duffy
- When You Rise Up by R.C. Sproul Jr.
- The Heart of Homeschooling by Christopher J. Klicka
- Hope for the Heart of the Homeschool Mom: Encouragement for the Days When Sanity is Limited by Jamerrill Stewart
More posts on Homeschooling:
- 3 Quick Tips For A Restful Homeschooling Year
- 10 Things I Love About A Charlotte Mason Education
- How To Transition Into Homeschooling Kindergarten
- How to Save 90% on Homeschool Curriculum Bundles
- How to Get Ready For Roadschooling, Homeschooling On The Go & Road Trips With Kids!
- Roadschooling: 5 Amazing Benefits of Homeschooling On The Road
- How to Create the Best Homeschool Routine For Your Family
- 3 Top Reasons Why Evan Moor’s History Pockets Rock
- Homeschool STEM: 5 Top STEM Toys Children Will Love & Learn From
- 10 Best FREE Homeschool Printables You Need To Start Homeschooling
FREE PRINTABLE: I have created a checklist printable for you so you can keep track of all the homeschool related books you are reading! Download the checklist by clicking HERE!
Your Turn: Is there a homeschool related book you love that is not here in this list? We would love to add it. Please let us know your homeschool books recommendations below in the comments!
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Teach your kids independence and responsibility at easy!
Ana is the unhurried homeschool mom of 3, wife, health coach, social media and online marketing strategist, and blogger. She loves to encourage, inspire and empower moms to go from stressed to blessed by providing them with the tips, strategies, and resources they need to succeed. Ana is the founder of They Call Me Blessed and the creator of 5 Days to Your Best Homeschool Years, Grow Your Blog Partying in 30 Days, and the Beyond Blessed Life Planners. She leads a vibrant online community for moms on Facebook and you can connect with her at www.facebook.com/theycallmeblessedblog.