We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post..
Today I am sharing an honest review of History Pockets by Evan-Moor. I have been using these homeschool history resources for two years and can’t wait to tell you all about it!!
These so-called pockets are on the top of my favorite homeschool history resources list. History should be fun and not hard to teach! History Pockets combine both, hands-on activities and art for kids. Kids learn about the time in history we’re reading about while coloring or crafting.
Who is History Pockets for?
Honestly, History Pockets are perfect for any homeschool family, especially those who love hands-on learning. If you love unit studies and lapbooks like me, this is exactly what you need!
There are two different levels and several different topics:
Life in Plymouth Colony
The American Civil War
The American Revolution
Explorers of North America**
What does History Pockets cover?
Here are the 8 Native American tribes we’ve learned about:
The Inuit of the Arctic
The Tlingit of the Northwest
The Nez Perce of the Plateau
The Maidu of California
The Sioux of the Plains
The Navajo of the Southwest
The Iroquois of the Northeast
The Seminole of the Southeast
Explorers of North America
Sir Francis Drake
Lewis and Clark
John Wesley Powell
For my kids, the highlight of this pocket was to write a letter asking for a job inside the Santa Maria. They were so creative persuading Columbus to hire them for their best skills! This program is really a lot of fun!
History Pockets Ancient Civilizations
TIP: We paired these resources with our Sonlight Curriculum and listened to Story of The World and Mystery of History related chapters while working on the crafts!
While I’m doing an overview of the six great ancient civilizations with my youngest, my fourth-grader and fifth-grader are diving deeper into Ancient Egypt. After this, we are planning on doing Ancient Greece as well.
Here are the main topics covered by each of these unit studies:
- Military Power
- Daily Life
- Religion and Mythology
- Work and School
- Art and Architecture
- Language and Literature
- Sports and Entertainment
No matter which theme you choose, all of them include:
- bookmarks with short fun facts
- a fact sheet for teacher and students
- arts and crafts projects
- writing activities
In our homeschool, we pick one lesson/pocket to work on for a week or two. I love how my kids get to read, write, color, draw, and build all in one lesson. You can go as deep as you want with their lessons.
How to Get Started With History Pockets?
As I mentioned before, you can use this resource as a completely independent unit study or combine it with any History curriculum you are already using in your homeschool.
Pick the History Pocket theme that fits your history cycle. This year, we are studying ancient civilizations but last year we studied American and Canadian History.
Evan-Moor offers a digital version and a printed version for you to choose from. If you want to start right away, go for the digital because you will have access to immediate download. Quite honestly, I find it easier to print since I have an awesome printer!!
Once you download your files, you will need paper to print, scissors, glue, and colored pencils.
Go to Evan-Moor now to pick the perfect unit study for you!
In Conclusion, History Pockets have been a hit in our homeschool for two years now.
- First, because it appeals to all kinds of learners.
- Second, because the lessons are done-for-you and they are thorough and easy to teach.
- Third, because the hands-on activities keep my kids engaged and having fun while they’re learning.
- And lastly, because I can use it by itself or combined with any other homeschool history resource I want!
All in all, it is a fantastic homeschool history curriculum that I highly recommend to all homeschoolers.
3 More Resources From Evan-Moor You Might Want To Try Now!
- Evan-Moor’s Rewards Program. Receive a point for every $1.00 spent! Join our rewards program today!
- Teacher File Box. Evan-Moor’s entire online lesson library only $99.99/per year! Get activities and lessons from over 600 Evan-Moor books. Ideal for educational enrichment in the classroom or at home!
- Interactive Games for Kids (Grades 1–6). Only $3.99 for Mac/PC or iPads! Evan-Moor’s selection of interactive games engages children in practicing reading, writing, and science skills.